2017 Youth Leadership Summit (YLS)
July 16-19, 2017 in San Francisco
The Youth Leadership Summit (YLS) gives high school students the opportunity to identify and maximize their leadership skills, create a supportive national network of GEAR UP students, and receive the tools and training to make positive change happen in their communities and around the world.
In order to submit an application, you will need to complete these three steps:
- Send an email to Tyrec Grooms, Program Associate at NCCEP, to let us know of your interest in sending students to YLS. You must indicate how many students you plan to bring and their grade levels (max. 8 students per grant). Once you have received a response, you may move on to the next step.
- Submit an online application. In an effort to improve the application process for the 2017 YLS, we are asking each GEAR UP grantee to designate one representative to complete one online application for all of their students. Before submitting, the GEAR UP representative who will submit the application on behalf of the grant must read the YLS Application & Submission Guidelines. It contains all of the information you will need to collect to complete the online application, and all of the required forms that will need to be signed and uploaded to the online application.
- Register your students for YLS. Please note that all students register for the Annual Conference. You will receive a notification one registration opens in April. The registration fee will be $850.
NCCEP seeks to create a geographically diverse YLS cohort for the 2017 conference. We encourage GEAR UP grantees, wherever possible, to select students that are not from the same school. Also, please note that GEAR UP programs can send a maximum of eight (8) students per grant and students that have already attended a national YLS convening are not eligible to participate. For more information on eligibility, program responsibilities, chaperoning, etc. please read the YLS Application Information Sheet.
REQUIRED FORMS (The following forms must be submitted through the online application.)
- GEAR UP Director Student Approval Form
- GEAR UP Director Chaperone Approval Form
- Parent/Guardian Consent Form
- Photo and Video Permission Release Form (for parent/guardian)
- Student Pledge
*If you have any questions, contact Tyrec Grooms, Program Associate.