2017 Youth Leadership Summit (YLS)
July 16-19, 2017 in San Francisco
The Youth Leadership Summit (YLS) gives high school students the opportunity to identify and maximize their leadership skills, create a supportive national network of GEAR UP students, and receive the tools and training to make positive change happen in their communities and around the world.
We are at capacity. If you have not received a confirmation email from NCCEP, unfortunately we are unable to accommodate any more requests but we can include your student(s) on the waiting list.
If you did receive a confirmation email, we ask that you please complete these steps to secure your student's participation in the 2017 YLS. Please note that the earlier you complete Step One, the more your student(s) will benefit from the pre-conference engagement.
- Submit an online application. In an effort to improve the application process for the 2017 YLS, we ask that each GEAR UP grantee designate one representative to complete one online application for all of their students. Before submitting, the GEAR UP representative who will submit the application on behalf of the grant must read the YLS Application & Submission Guidelines. It contains important information you will need to know in order to complete the online application, and all of the required forms that will need to be signed and uploaded to the online application.
- Register your students for YLS. Please note that all students register for the Annual Conference. You will receive a notification when registration opens in April. The registration fee will be $850 per student.
Click here to see a draft program schedule for the 2017 YLS.
NCCEP seeks to create a geographically diverse YLS cohort for the 2017 conference. We encourage GEAR UP grantees, wherever possible, to select students that are not from the same school. Also, please note that GEAR UP programs can send a maximum of eight (8) students per grant and students that have already attended a national YLS convening are not eligible to participate.
Please see the YLS Application Information Sheet for more information on student eligibility, program responsibilities, chaperoning, submitting an application, and selecting students.
REQUIRED FORMS (The following forms should be submitted through the online application.)
- GEAR UP Director Student Approval Form
- GEAR UP Director Chaperone Approval Form
- Parent/Guardian Consent Form (Version en español)
- Photo and Video Permission Release Form (for parent/guardian) (Version en español)
- Student Pledge
*If you have any questions, contact Tyrec Grooms, Program Associate.