Join thousands of students, parents, teachers, partners and college access professionals from across the nation to celebrate GEAR UP and the successes of your hard work and dedication!
National GEAR UP Week is an opportunity for you to raise awareness in your community about the positive impact GEAR UP is having locally. It's a time to engage all your stakeholders - local, state and federal elected officials, funders, partners, as well as local, state and regional media - to share your program's accomplishments and to get them more involved with your services to students and families. Let's commemorate your hard work and the progress our students are making towards achieving their life-long dream of going to college!
2017 National GEAR UP Week – September 17-23!
We encourage you to use the resources below to plan and prepare for 2017 National GEAR UP Week.
Please share your plans, ideas, and materials with us so we can all benefit from your creativity and energy. Let us know if you have any questions or comments about National GEAR UP Week and check back often for additional/updated resources. Have cool resources or other materials to share? Send them via e-mail so we can upload them on this page!
Inspiration & Planning:
- Planning for National GEAR UP Week – A quick overview of GEAR UP Week with some tips and suggestions that can help you plan an outstanding week.
- National GEAR UP Week Activity Cheat Sheet and Planning Exercises Looking for inspiration? Look no further! Here are a number of tried and true activities to help get you started, along with some quick exercises you can do with your team to define your goals, audience, and get to planning!
- National GEAR UP Week Planning Questions – Pose these questions to your team, partners, students, parents and/or volunteers to prompt good discussion and strengthen your planning.
- Working the Media for National GEAR UP Week (2013 Webinar) – This webinar offers a simple 4-step process to help you with your media outreach efforts to get coverage for your National GEAR UP Week celebrations.
- Get ready for National GEAR UP Week! (2013 Webinar) – Watch this 30 min. webinar recording for tips and ideas on how to plan and prepare to celebrate GEAR UP Week.
- Download the National GEAR UP Week logo
- Download the "One in a Million" sign
- Download the #I<3GEARUP / #IheartGEARUP sign
- Download the 2017 GEAR UP Fact Sheet. You can share this with GEAR UP stakeholders and decision-makers to give them an idea of GEAR UP at the national level.
- Proclamation request template – Use this letter template to request a proclamation for National GEAR UP Week from your Senators, Representatives, Governor, Mayor, Councilmembers, etc. Just download this Word document, fill in the blanks, and contact the appropriate people in your city or state who can help facilitate the proclamation process.
- Proclamation template – Attach this proclamation template to your proclamation request to save you time! Just fill in the blanks with information about your GEAR UP program.
- Student letter to Member of Congress – Want to involve your students in reaching out to Members of Congress? Use this letter template as a guide to help students share their GEAR UP successes!
- Sample Invitation – If you are holding an event during National GEAR UP Week and want to invite some special people, you can use this sample invitation as a starting point. Fill in the details about your event and send to special guests!
- Sample Agenda – Here is another sample that you can use for your event – just fill in with your event details and have copies for attendees!
- Sample Timeline – Sometimes, events take a lot of thought and planning. This sample timeline can give you an idea of elements to consider during the planning stage. Get together with your team, plan a timeline for your event using this sample guide, and have a great GEAR UP Week!
Press & Media:
- Media Advisory - This template is to notify media outlets in your area to cover the event you are hosting. Media advisories are distributed ahead of the event so that outlets can schedule and plan to cover your event.
- Press Release - This template will help you create some "buzz" about your event. You can send it out before or after the event takes place, just make sure you edit it accordingly!
- Op-Ed: Guidelines & Talking Points - Op-eds are a great way to raise awareness about GEAR UP at the local and regional level. Follow the tips and use the template in this resource to submit your op-ed to your news outlet.