Applications are now available for the 2014 NCCEP/GEAR UP Youth Congress. Click here for details and to access the 2014 application forms.
Don’t miss this opportunity to provide your students with a world class leadership and learning opportunity in conjunction with the 2014 NCCEP/GEAR UP Annual Conference, July 20–23, 2014, at the Hilton Washington, in Washington, DC.
NCCEP is grateful to Texas Instruments for their generous sponsorship of the 2014 Youth Congress.
Led by experienced national trainers and supported by GEAR UP (GUALA) alumni, the Congress features:
- A well-designed, blended curriculum focused on essential leadership and learning concepts and practices.
- Experiential learning opportunities, including a visit to Capitol Hill.
- Engaging formats, with high-interest, interactive presentations, discussions, and project-based learning in groups, spiced with creative use of technology and games.
- Opportunities for students’ to develop communication skills, oral and listening.
- A focus on developing critical thinking and soft skills like emotional intelligence.
- Encouragement for students to work in teams and be reflective, life-long learners.
- Student-centered content and activities that are fun, meaningful, and memorable.
- An emphasis on students developing global and future mindsets, visual, financial, and STEM literacies, and knowledge of key brain-based learning strategies.
- Motivational speakers to inspire GEAR UP youth to succeed in life, work, and learning.
Youth Congress participants will experience elements of the full conference, including having the opportunity to be part of some plenary sessions, while also engaging in over 20 hours of customized training workshops with their peers from throughout the country for the duration of the conference. The Youth Congress will begin on Sunday evening, July 20th and conclude with lunch on Wednesday, July 23rd.
The 2014 NCCEP/GEAR UP Youth Congress is open to:
- All grantees interested in registering and accompanying one or more GEAR UP students. (NCCEP suggests that the number of students per program remain under ten to allow the learning community to experience the geographic diversity that is a valuable component of the Youth Congress.)
- 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade GEAR UP students (approved by their GEAR UP Director) who are willing to fully commit to participating in all aspects of the Youth Congress.
GEAR UP Programs that wish to register students for the 2014 Youth Congress must also register them via NCCEP’s annual conference online registration process. In order for your students to be fully registered for the Youth Congress, the GEAR UP Program Director (or designee) must coordinate the completion of the necessary permission forms for youth to participate. These forms can be submitted prior to or as part of registration.
The application deadline for the 2014 Youth Congress is June 28, 2014. However, registration will be open to the first 120 students, so make your plans today.
If you have any questions, contact John Donaldson at NCCEP.